Monday, December 23, 2013

Merry, Merry Happenings


Another cozy and festive afternoon getting ready for Christmas. The short days (Saturday was the winter solstice), the festive decorations and the cold weather made staying in and taking care of holiday details very appealing. And sometimes you find a little Christmas magic along the way.


 Wrapping presents, sending out cards and planning holiday menus were top priorities


Trying out a new color scheme for Christmas was also fun. I love the blue and white dishes with the red roses and winter greenery.


Baking cookies (this will happen on Tuesday): Gingerbread men and Chocolate Crinkles are a must each year. These photos are from last Christmas.

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies


Trying a new recipe -- Peppermint Fudge from The Farmhouse Inn in Sonoma, California. This hotel in the Russian River Valley is one of my favorite places to stay. Go here for the recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out.


And making special discoveries. Recently I was looking through my post card collection (go here to read more) and found this invitation to a holiday viewing of Bloomsbury art in London. The image on the front is a lithograph made by the English artist Vanessa Bell in 1951. I propped it up in front of the Christmas tree and the beauty of it took my breath away.

 Wishing you the happiest of holidays!

6 comments:

  1. I just received my Heather Taylor linens in time for Christmas as well ~ tried them out with our wedding china and it's perfect! That Vanessa Bell Madonna and Child lithograph is so beautiful. Breathtaking for sure. I wish you the happiest of Christmas's and a fantastic New Year. Thanks again for sharing so much through your beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you! I am so glad the linens arrived in time. Your table will be beautiful!
      xx Sunday

      Delete
  2. Everything looks so festive...even in your sunny California climate. I love looking at everything on your table; the candle, the jars of preserves, the linens. It's a lovely glimpse into your home. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the things you show it gives the Christmas feeling. It gives me great pleasure. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunday - your table looked lovely!! And those cookies - we only did gingerbread men this year. I feel like such a slacker reading this now!

    ReplyDelete